I'm interested in art, data, design, strategy and culture in cities
I am an analyst, academic, artist and entrepreneur born and raised in London. I'm interested in using data to understand culture in cities and in a creative and impactful way, particularly data visualisation, information design & generative art.
Co-Founder and CEO of Photogram AI, a computational photography startup based in London. We’re building
ai-accelerated hardware and software for photography. We were founded on the Entrepreneur First London 12 Cohort in June 2019 and have now incubated at UCL Innovation & Enterprise and are on the NVIDIA Inception AI accelerator, the London & Partners Business Growth Programme, and the Digital Catapult's Machine Learning Garage.
I work as a cultural data scientist for clients in the cultural sector and I am the founder of cultureincities,
the world’s first data science consultancy dedicated to arts and culture.
I am studying a part-time postgraduate research degree in Spatial Data Science and Visualisation at the
Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis (CASA) at The Bartlett, UCL as the Bartlett Scholar. My research uses data science to measure the economic and social impact of art and culture in cities.
I am a visual artist in resident at the Public Sphere Salons in London. I use computer coding and generative algorithms to create works of art. I’ve spoken about my artwork at UNFOLD festival in October 2017 during Frieze week, and at the Public Sphere Salons.
Before this, worked at Sotheby’s auction house as Data Scientist and at ArtTactic as a Project Associate. I studied a BSc at the London School of Economics and a MArts the Sotheby’s Institute of Art. My academic interests intersect between economics, art and culture, design, computer science and technology.
- [September] Spoke at Lift Helsinki conference
- [August] Speaking at Travel Massive in Edinburgh
- [July] Invited to the Cities of Culture Postgraduate Research Network
- [June] Spoke at the Museum + AI Network conference at Goldsmiths and The Barbican
- [June] Founded Photogram.ai, a computational photography and ai startup
- [June] Spoke on the Easel panel at the Courtauld in London
- [May] Spoke at Christie’s Education about data science for arts and culture
- [April] I was accepted on the Entrepreneur First London 12 Cohort link
- [March] Selected as a semi-finalist for the Mayor of London Entrepreneur Competition
- [March] Started as a Data Science Advisor to Art Night London, London’s largest contemporary art public festival
- [March] Started as a Data Science Advisor to Waltham Forest, the first ever London Borough of Culture
- [March] Started as a Data Science Advisor Vastari Insights
- [March] Dynamics of the Contemporary Art Market lecture to the London Art History Society at Swedenborg House
- [February] Data Science for Arts and Culture lecture to MA Art Business Students at the Sotheby’s Institute of Art
- [November] Joined Futurecity as a Futurecity Associate (Data Scientist)
- [October] Started my online blog series Analysing Culture in London using Social Media Data.
- [Sept] Stopped working at Sotheby’s auction house and continued finishing my MResearch degree at CASA, UCL
- [July] An academic paper I co-authored with Marine Tanguy, "Measuring the extent to which Londoners are willingness to pay for art in their city", was accepted for publication to the Journal for Technological Forecasting and Social Change.
- [June] Interviewed by Sotheby's Institute of Art about Data Science and Machine Learning for art for their online course.
- [May] Moved to New York on a six-month secondment as one of the first Data Scientists for Sotheby's working with the Thread Genius team. Worked with senior stakeholders to help solve their problems by implementing data driven solutions and products.
- [February] Interviewed by ArtTactic, an art market intelligence firm, about my data art.
- [January] Held my third data art and poetry dinner at October Gallery with Carolina Mostert organised by Justine Kolata at the Public Sphere Salons. The event was called Aesthetic Harmonies inspired by the work of Hassan Massoudy.
- [January] Accepted an artist in residency programme at the Public Sphere Salons.
- [December] Interviewed by Codex, an art market blockchain company.
- [December] Submitted an academic paper to the Journal for Technological Forecasting and Social Change with MTArt Agency.
- [November] Held my second data art and poetry dinner at Amar Gallery with Carolina Mostert. The event was called Black Exodus inspired by the work of Lina Iris Viktor.
- [October] Spoke at UNFOLD festival during frieze week on how technology is changing the art world.
- [September] Interviewed by Feral Horses, an art market stock exchange, about my data art.
- [July] Held my first data art and poetry dinner at Chalton Gallery with Mansi Singh. The topic was on Symmetry.
- [May] Recipient of the Bartlett Scholarship to study an MRes in Spatial Data Science and Visualisation at UCL in London.
- [March] Spoke at a careers panel at the Sotheby's Institute of Art in London.
- [February] Started my Instagram account @vishalkumar.london.